Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Valentine Topiary

I wanted to make a valentine craft for my mantle this year using a colour I never decorate with...pink!  I figured with a house full of boys it was time to add some feminine flare for this years valentines.
I purchased 2 packs of 250 fake rose petals, a feather boa and a package of wooden dowels at the dollar store.  I already had a container, ribbon, sewing pins, fake pearls and hairpins at home.

I started by taking three petals and folding them in half.  I than folded them in half again and stuck a sewing pin through it and poked it into the styrofoam ball.
I kept sticking these little rose buds into the styrofoam ball for about an hour and a half.   I used a larger styrofoam ball than the one shown above so it took almost the whole episode of watching the bachelor.  I was pretty satisfied on how it turned out but I remembered I had these pearls and hairpins leftover from my wedding day in my craft box and I thought they would look pretty.  I just strung the pearls onto the hairpins and pushed them into the styrofoam ball.  
I than stuck the wood dowel into the ball and filled a pot I had on hand with styrofoam.  I used a piece of the feather boa to cover the styrofoam and tied a ribbon to the dowel.  I still need to paint my dowel white.
 I like my snowy owl next to my topiary, I think its the feathered boa that brings them together.  This topiary would also look so cute in a little girls room.

Linking to: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! Or if you prefer e-mail, send your comments/questions to northernnest@hotmail.com